Wiki Contrast billing in an OBL with modifiers JW and JZ

kvo

Networker
Best answers
I could really use some input from someone who is familiar with contrast billing (Q9966 and Q9967) in the OBL (office-based lab) POS 11. Between the supply/demand issues with materials and the current modifier requirements we are receiving denials for the way we are billing for cases where only a portion of bottle is used and remainder saved to use on the next patient. In most cases the contrast is diluted with saline and then administered so in the case where the bottle is 50ml and we use 25ml only and save the remainder in the bottle for the next patient, if we put a JZ for no waste we are receiving a denial due to the NDC stating it is a 50ml. I don't think it is correct though to list the remaining 25ml with a JW on a separate line since it is not wasted.
Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you.

I could really use some input from someone who is familiar with contrast billing (Q9966 and Q9967) in the OBL (office-based lab) POS 11. Between the supply/demand issues with materials and the current modifier requirements we are receiving denials for the way we are billing for cases where only a portion of bottle is used and remainder saved to use on the next patient. In most cases the contrast is diluted with saline and then administered so in the case where the bottle is 50ml and we use 25ml only and save the remainder in the bottle for the next patient, if we put a JZ for no waste we are receiving a denial due to the NDC stating it is a 50ml. I don't think it is correct though to list the remaining 25ml with a JW on a separate line since it is not wasted.
Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you.
I would check to see if the drug/NDC you are using is a single or multi use medication. If it’s single use then you should only be using this for 1 patient and discarding the rest w/ appropriate modifiers for waste. If its multi-use then I don’t believe you need either modifier, since JZ/JW only apply to single use medications.

I would check to see if the drug/NDC you are using is a single or multi use medication. If it’s single use then you should only be using this for 1 patient and discarding the rest w/ appropriate modifiers for waste. If its multi-use then I don’t believe you need either modifier, since JZ/JW only apply to single use medications.
Thank you so much for confirming the filing process for the contrast. This will resolve the issue we are having. :)