Wiki COPD w/ asthma

Best answers
Hello, I posted this question in the ICD10 forum which was probably not the right spot! LOL
How would you code a patient with COPD being admitted to the hospital for exacerbation of bronchial asthma?
I am torn between J449, J45901 and J441, J45901
I'm questioning if the COPD would be coded as exacerbated if the physician is stating the asthma is exacerbated......
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

COPD w/asthma

the index for asthma with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)/with/exacerbation (acute) leads us to code J44.1. When you go there it says to add a code for type of asthma. So based on the information provided I would go with J44.1 and J45.901. Great question! Hope this helps.

the index for asthma with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)/with/exacerbation (acute) leads us to code J44.1. When you go there it says to add a code for type of asthma. So based on the information provided I would go with J44.1 and J45.901. Great question! Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input!! I'm thinking that you are correct, but if you use an encoder it allows you to designate the COPD, asthma or both as exacerbated - UGH!