Wiki Course material does not explain how to get R91.80?

Mrsrpc

Guru
Best answers
"A patient presents for a pre-operative screening chest X-ray prior to surgery for a unilateral inguinal hernia. The X-ray detects an undefined abnormality in the right lower lobe, and the radiologist recommends additional imaging studies. Diagnosis sequencing for this encounter includes:

Z01.818Encounter for other pre-procedural examination

K40.90Unilateral inguinal hernia, without obstruction or gangrene, not specified as recurrent

R91.8Other nonspecific abnormal finding of lung field" -- I would have picked findings, radiologic R93.89(which is wrong per the tabular list, and since there is no "lung" subcategory,) I only found intrathoracic organs NEC R93.1 (which is also wrong per tabular list but I couldn't even FIND R91.80 in the alphabetic index, so I wouldn't be able to verify it in the tabular list, anyway. The course material does not describe any explanation as to why THIS code sequence is correct and not one of the other sequences. HELP!!??

"A patient presents for a pre-operative screening chest X-ray prior to surgery for a unilateral inguinal hernia. The X-ray detects an undefined abnormality in the right lower lobe, and the radiologist recommends additional imaging studies. Diagnosis sequencing for this encounter includes:

Z01.818Encounter for other pre-procedural examination

K40.90Unilateral inguinal hernia, without obstruction or gangrene, not specified as recurrent

R91.8Other nonspecific abnormal finding of lung field" -- I would have picked findings, radiologic R93.89(which is wrong per the tabular list, and since there is no "lung" subcategory,) I only found intrathoracic organs NEC R93.1 (which is also wrong per tabular list but I couldn't even FIND R91.80 in the alphabetic index, so I wouldn't be able to verify it in the tabular list, anyway. The course material does not describe any explanation as to why THIS code sequence is correct and not one of the other sequences. HELP!!??

Look in the Index under the term Abnormal. "Abnormal X-Ray examination" or "Abnormal, Radiological Exam" or "Abnormal, Diagnostic Imaging" would have gotten you to R91.8

Abnormal > X-ray examination > see also Abnormal, Diagnostic Imaging

Abnormal > Radiological Examination > see also Abnormal, Diagnostic Imaging

Abnormal > Diagnostic Imaging > Lung > R91.8

Look in the Index under the term Abnormal. "Abnormal X-Ray examination" or "Abnormal, Radiological Exam" or "Abnormal, Diagnostic Imaging" would have gotten you to R91.8

Abnormal > X-ray examination > see also Abnormal, Diagnostic Imaging

Abnormal > Radiological Examination > see also Abnormal, Diagnostic Imaging

Abnormal > Diagnostic Imaging > Lung > R91.8
Thank you, Susan. I think I'm finally starting to see the forest for the trees...until the next chapter...