Question COVID-19 Antibody Testing

Best answers
I've read the CPT assistant regarding antibody testing for COVID-19. I understand that these are all very new, but does anyone know whether this test must be specifically for patients with respiratory symptoms or who have been exposed in some way? Are there any ICD guidelines yet with 86769?

Hello,

I have not seen any ICD-10 guidelines specific to the serology testing, but this changes by the hour ;) My laboratory clients are recommending that the physicians continue to follow the ICD-10 guidance that has been provided, and reminding physicians that the antibody testing is not diagnostic, so even a result that reflects a positive for coronavirus antibodies would not necessarily mean a change in diagnostic code. You ask a very good questions, as this testing will soon be used as an employment test, for non-symptomatic patients. Quest is now offering antibody testing as a direct to consumer option, no physician order needed in most states (exception, Arizona, Hawaii, and a few others), so physicians can tell patients to go online set up an appointment and get tested without the office trying to make sure the "kit" they bought is valid. There are so many issues with the POCT kits that are being sold, better to be safe and send a patient to Quest, Labcorp, or regional laboratory for a lab performed serology.

The AHA issued this guidance on COVID-19 antibody testing just yesterday:

For an encounter for antibody testing that is not being performed to confirm a current COVID-19 infection, nor is being performed as a follow-up test after resolution of COVID-19, assign Z01.84, Encounter for antibody response examination.

Thanks Thomas!,

I'm not the best at searching for revisions to documents. Appreciate this. I was able to add in all that new FAQs questions 20-24 onto my quick reference sheet and made a few editing changes to the layout for easier reference since aqll of this guidelines needs constantly revise and/or change. I work in database all day everyday so making a sheet like this for reporting is so handy compared to all the docs i would have need to open which is crazy.

Happy Coding and thank you Thomas!

Attachments

• Revised 4-28-2020_Frequently-Asked-Questions-Regarding-COVID-19_v3 Added FAQs 20-24.pdf
    613.2 KB · Views: 20