CPB Exam Help

girlgood9

New
Best answers
I recently took my CPB exam for the second time and still managed to fail it. The first time I got a 63 and this time a 68. I have the AAPC practice exams, study guide and I did really well in the course, but I just feel like I'm missing something in order to ace this. Does anyone have a suggestion for some additional notes or materials that might be helpful?

AAPC should have listed "areas of study" in your test results for the sections/concepts where you scored the lowest. What were those? It's difficult to provide suggestions without knowing the areas that you are struggling with. My only generic advice would be to rework the practice exams and go over the study guide again, which isn't helpful since you've taken the test twice. Do you have work experience as a medical biller?

AAPC should have listed "areas of study" in your test results for the sections/concepts where you scored the lowest. What were those? It's difficult to provide suggestions without knowing the areas that you are struggling with. My only generic advice would be to rework the practice exams and go over the study guide again, which isn't helpful since you've taken the test twice. Do you have work experience as a medical biller?
I have zero work experience in medical billing. Thanks to you asking for detailed information about my exam I just noticed the categories listed are different - types of insurance on one and billing regulations instead on the other. My lowest scores were in claims and hippa/compliance. A few things I know I struggle with are: non-par, incident-to and audits

I recently took my CPB exam for the second time and still managed to fail it. The first time I got a 63 and this time a 68. I have the AAPC practice exams, study guide and I did really well in the course, but I just feel like I'm missing something in order to ace this. Does anyone have a suggestion for some additional notes or materials that might be helpful?
They are costly exams set up for failure.

The CPB is a challenging exam, especially for someone with no background in medical billing.

I've noticed an increase in the number of people taking the exam with no billing background, which is curious to me. A billing certification isn't required to get an entry-level billing position, so most people would be better served getting some billing experience before taking the exam.

That being said, you've already attempted the exam and you're just looking for pointers on how to pass on your next attempt.

The practice exams and study guide contain all of the information needed to pass the exam. (That's all I used, but I did have a billing background that gave me a comfort level with the material too.)

CCO offers a free CPB practice test on its website. https://www.cco.us/cpb-practice-exam/

If you're inclined to spend more money, I might suggest the CPB blitz through CCO too: https://www.cco.us/certified-professional-biller-cpb-exam-preparation-review-blitz/

CCO's blitzes are mini-reviews and the lessons are all self-paced videos. (I didn't use the CPB blitz, but I did use their CPMA blitz & thought it was very helpful.)

BTW- sometimes there are sales on blitzes. I just had a recent email where there was a 35% discount - I think it expired a few days ago, but it's worth signing up for the email list to get future sales.

Note: I have no affiliation with CCO - I'm just a past customer and gain nothing from recommending any of their products. :)

And some words of encouragement...

A 68% means that you got 136 questions right on your most recent attempt. You at least 140 to pass - you're only 4 correct questions away from a passing store.

On your first attempt, you had a 63% - that's 126 questions right.

From your first to second attempt, your raw score increased by 10. You can totally improve your most recent raw score by 4 or more questions on your next attempt!!!!

I have zero work experience in medical billing. Thanks to you asking for detailed information about my exam I just noticed the categories listed are different - types of insurance on one and billing regulations instead on the other. My lowest scores were in claims and hippa/compliance. A few things I know I struggle with are: non-par, incident-to and audits
You were very close to passing with your scores. You just need a few more correct answers to get there! Give yourself credit for getting that good of a score with no billing experience to draw from.

Those categories tell you what areas you need to study up on. Unfortunately, if you have no billing experience, they are also some of the toughest topics and seasoned coders and billers often struggle with them. The best thing to do is go back through those areas of the study guide - the study guide has everything you need to know for the test. You can find more info on HIPAA and compliance online - check the free CEU listings AAPC provides for webinars. Rework the practice exams. If you didn't purchase the online practice exams and can afford to do so, I recommend those as well. Susan has posted some excellent advice and resources above for you.

The billing credentials don't have wide recognition among employers yet and will likely not influence any hiring decisions. Of course, the CPC wasn't widely acknowledged in it's early days either. I personally chose to get the CPB because it was indicative of part of my career, as do all of my credentials. It was tough but I thought it was a fun test to take (yes, I know that's not normal LOL) - I also had years of experience behind me which took a lot of the pressure off.

You've got this!