Wiki CPC-A looking for first job (career change)

thammack94

Best answers
I am looking for a job in medical coding. I am currently an analytical chemist(official title is Scientist 1) at an environmental lab and I have a bachelors in chemistry. I'm constantly working long hours and it's a very physical (yet mental) demanding job. I have always wanted to work in the medical/healthcare field and when I discovered medical coding I fell in love with it. I am able to use my analytical mind with anatomy and healthcare. It has come very natural to me. I live in Nashville, TN. It's been very hard to network this year because of COVID and I was actually suppose to take my exam a week before the pandemic alert. I have finished the Practicode and really enjoyed doing that. I am also very proficient with computers. And I have a very strong work ethic with multiple people that will back that claim up. My mother actually works as an QA director for Anthem.

I'm having a hard time finding a job that will take a chance on me. I am looking for any advice or know of any job openings. I understand there is a chance I'll have a take a pay cut since I'm changing careers.

You are in good company with lots of us beginners who can't seem to land that first job. I've heard lots of advice about getting my foot in the door at a medical facility, but that seems pointless since I've worked in the clinical side of medicine for more than 40 years. I don't have the energy to waste sitting at a desk greeting people so I'm biding my time until that perfect job turns up.

Last edited: