Wiki Cpc exam - would be willing

Best answers
Hello, is there someone in this forum that would be willing to chat with me about tips for taking the exam? as far as tabbing the books, guidelines etc...

Thank You

CPC Exam

Read over and Tab Category III codes, Review what is incldued in Neonatal and Pediatric Critcal Care on page 42 of the CPT book, read the rules for Colonscopy on page 275 note the modifier regarding incomplete, REMEMBER to read all of the notes underneath the cpt code. Read your Anesthesia Guidelines on page 52 and 53 your Physical Status Modifiers, Remember to no the difference between Incision, Excision, Repair, Destruction as well as the meaning of Manipulation, Review you Path and Lab section review what is included in a Panel and Drug Testing rules, for evaluation/management questions make sure to identify the place of service whether the patient is new or established for office visit, know the difference between modifier -26 and -TC for radiology procedures, remember Ophathalmology section is located on page 536+ they have their own evaluation /management codes, know the level of the spine, know your Modifers especially -58, -25, -59,77, 76,78 just all read on page 645, ICD-9 know your manifestation codes, REMEMBER YOU CAN WRITE NOTES IN YOUR BOOK ANYTHING YOU WANT, HIGHLIGHT NOTES, TAB,....take a light snack, don't drink alot of water because you want that 5 hours to be focus. Remember Google any questions you may have, also youtube have a few things about coding.

CPC exam

I have never worked in the medical field (except for a short internship), but I took the test and was able to pass the first time I took it. Some of the things that helped me were:

***Tab your books VERY thoroughly! You need to be able to find codes quickly. In my CPT I tabbed them numerically (for example 50000-55000, 65000-70000) on the side of the pages, the body systems on the top of the pages, and the modifier and guidline pages on the bottom of the page. Tab them whichever way you find works for you best to be able to find codes/answers as quickly as possible. I used post-it brand tabs since they are repositionable.

***Know exactly in your book where to find the modifiers. Study them well. You don't need to have them memorized, but be very familiar with the proper use of them.

***Read all the guideline pages at the beginning of each section, highlight the main points, and take notes in your book as much as you want/need to.

***I bought a cheap digital timer, set it for 5hrs 40 min and started it when time began so I glance at it and instantly see how much time I had left. That way I could keep on a steady pace without having to constantly look at a clock in the room and figure out how much time I had left.

***Read through any notes and/or books about anatomy/physiology to re-familiarlize yourself with terms you may have forgotten. Also re-read medical terminology/prefixes/suffixes. It helped me greatly to do so.

***Remember, you can write as many notes in your books as you want, you just can't have any post-its in your books (except for tabs), no pages stapled or taped in your books either.

***The AAPC study guide did help me, especially the coding tips that were provided. Practice tests are helpful too. They help you become accustomed to the layout of the actual test and will help you narrow down which areas you will need to study the most.

***Use the current years coding books! I know they are expensive but, there will be questions on the test that you will be unable to answer with the previous years' books.

***When taking the test, I found it was much easier to eliminate the obviously wrong answers and through process of elimination, pick the right answer. I didn't just read the question and begin looking for codes without first looking at the multiple choice answers and starting there.

***RELAX! Don't panic! Slow and steady worked for me, not freaked out and rushed.

That is all that I can think of right now, if I think of anymore, I will pass them along to you! Good Luck!!

CPC Exam

Hi, thanks for all of your great tips. I was wondering if you would mind chatting sometime? I have some more questions about the exam. I get really bad test anxiety so I need to figure out ways to not psych myself out. anyway thanks again for your help.

Mary

The main thing when actually taking the test is TIMING. Be sure to go thru the entire test before starting. If there are some you just know, just cause they are so obvious, go ahead and mark them in the book. Don't even worry about the answer sheet, just make all your notes in the test book. Once you've gone thru them all, start again at the beginning. Spend no more than a minute or so on each question. Can't get it? Skip it, you'll get back to it. The key is to not spend so much time on any one question that you run out of time before you get to them all. When I took mine, I put all my answers right in the book. When I had about an hour left, I marked my answer sheet with what I had answered. Then I went back to those I didn't have and gave them another try. If time is running out, and you still have some you just can't get...just fill in circles! Make sure you have an answer for every question, even if it is a total guess. At least you'll have a 25% chance of getting it right, right? As opposed to a 0% chance if you leave it blank. Hope this helps!