Wiki CPC or specialty? Which would be better?

MnTwins29

True Blue
Best answers
Hi - I am working in compliance, namely a compliance officer for professional services and practices. My main function for billing and coding is E/M auditing. Therefore, I am torn whether I should prepare for the CPC to gain an overall knowledge or concentrate on the E/M speciality exam. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lance Smith:confused:

Hi - I am working in compliance, namely a compliance officer for professional services and practices. My main function for billing and coding is E/M auditing. Therefore, I am torn whether I should prepare for the CPC to gain an overall knowledge or concentrate on the E/M speciality exam. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lance Smith:confused:

Lance;

That is a tough call. First I would say that gaining your CPC would benefit you in many ways. Having the overall knowledge is a wonderful asset to have. If you job is more compliance and auditing then you might want to wait until January and try for the newest credential CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor), this credential is going to be another excellent credential offered by the AAPC. I love knowledge as evident by my current credentials and I plan on taking the CPMA also. I believe that their is power in knowledge, meaning that the more you understand the better you are for yourself and your practice. I wish you luck in your decision. I say go for all of them. LOL..

CPMA includes operative reports

Unless I'm mistaken the CPMA will include auditing surgical operative reports.

If your focus is truly all E/M you'll find the CEMC fairly straightforward.

The CPC has been proven to be the standard for most employers.

Only you can really know what will fulfill your own needs.

Good luck.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I may be mistaken as well, but I thought you need to have your CPC before you can take a specialty exam? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!

I may be mistaken as well, but I thought you need to have your CPC before you can take a specialty exam? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!

The specialty credentials do stand alone, leaving the CPC as the "Gold Standard" of coding. So, yes you are mistaken, you do not need your CPC to acquire a specialty credential.

Thanks Susan. I wasn't 100% sure, but now I know that I had that confused with the membership of AAPC that is a requirement not the CPC credential. :)

Thanks, everyone. Frankly, it has been so long since I did any coding outside of E/M or psychology that the CPC is intimidating right now. Since there are no more tests being offered in my area for awhile, I have time to decide!

You weren't completely mistaken

Thanks Susan. I wasn't 100% sure, but now I know that I had that confused with the membership of AAPC that is a requirement not the CPC credential. :)

When the Specialty credentials first started being offered, the CPC was a requirement. This rule was changed about a year ago. I obtained my CGSC in 2008 and the CPC was a pre-requisite at that time.

When the Specialty credentials first started being offered, the CPC was a requirement. This rule was changed about a year ago. I obtained my CGSC in 2008 and the CPC was a pre-requisite at that time.

Thanks Jennifer! I thought I was losing it! Back in 2004, I thought I needed my CPC to take the E/M test. Too funny...