Wiki CPCO Certification

I have done it. It has not been directly beneficial financially for me, but I did get hired for a higher level coding position because I had multiple certifications. I have found it to be beneficial to me in my everyday job functions as a coder. Unfortunately, just like newly certified coders with no experience, merely having the certification with no experience means your never going to get seriously considered for a real job in compliance. I have been lucky enough to get on the "compliance team" where I am employed (which is really a medical record audit team) which I hope may turn into a real compliance position offer someday.

hey

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it financially? Any other thoughts?

I had the same question in my mind. I do have enough experience on the job though. So my final decision is- I am going for it ;). I think it wouldn't hurt to have additional certifications, especially with current changes in HIM. Sooner or later, there will be a point to say "Thank God I actually have done that" if you like working in Healthcare field :p

Same question, different reason

I too am now thinking about this certification, but it is because I recently was promoted to compliance and privacy officer for one of our hospitals. When I reviewed the description of this certification, I saw that the literature talks mostly about practices, not hospitals. I already am certified as a CHC (Certified in Healthcare Compliance) through the Health Care Compliance Associtation (HCCA). So, the $64,000 question is if this one would be helpful as well?

Hi Lance. Congrats on your recent promotion. I recently obtained the CPCO credential as I work in Compliance in a physician setting. My previous company required/recognized only the CHC credential, although it was physician based practice. In the midst of studying for the CHC, I applied and was offered my current position in a different company. By me making the new move, I was able to sit for the CPCO instead.

Of course the choice is yours, but since you are in a hospital capacity, the CHC credential is most beneficial. But if you want that extra credential of CPCO, I say go for it! Congrats again!!