Wiki Cpma!!!!!!

The 2 day boot camp thru NAMAS is very helpful! I dont think I would have passed on the first try without it!!

For those of us who've been auditing for some time, is the NAMAS session really necessary? The cost is simply not within my budget for preparing for this exam, so I'm left to wonder if it is truly necessary.

My practical auditing has occurred in hospital, physician, home health and several other settings.

The OIG website is a valuable resource to add to your study time.

Kev:
I attended a NAMAS boot camp 9 days before I sat for my CPMA exam. I found it to be extremely helpful. They cover so much more than just E/M.
I do not think I would of passed the exam without it.
Having said that though my auditing experience was limited at the time so I felt the need to attend. I was weak in a lot of areas.
The exam itself is heavy in regulations and sampling ideologies and light in actual hands on abstraction and auditing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I've sampled, led a regional group in "data mining" for inpatient services, used the regulations to steer audit targets and utilized scientifically-valid random sampling methodologies in a federal environment. Not saying I'm an expert in all those areas, but certainly have utilized them in a practical environment.

Well, I'll play around with ordering a study guide and see if I can commit to taking it very soon. I appreciate the help.

Kevin -

I took the CPMA when it was a beta exam and had a lot of experience in auditing, compliance, etc. I passed it after preparing on my own. Contact me (clsteph2@gmail.com) if you want to discuss further. I can let you know what I reviewed when I was preparing.

Chandra

Disappointed with boot camp.

Kevin,
Get the book, AMA - Medical Record Auditor. It has just about everything you need for the test. I was very, very disappointed with the 2 day 'Boot camp'. Our study guides had wrong answers and two different years information. We didn't actually 'audit' anything. It was more studying terms and govt regulations. Geared more toward passing the test than learning auditing. To cover so much important information properly, the boot camp should be 4-5 days.
I did pass the exam but only because I have a good memory and am a good test taker. I am thinking of taking an auditing cert with another organization to make sure I know what I am doing. Since you already have auditing experience, you may do well without the boot camp.
Good luck on whatever you decide.