Wiki CPT 17630 Chemical Exfoliation

Metroderm

Networker
Best answers
Acne Vulgaris (L70.0) distributed on the face.
Plan: Chemical Exfoliation. The treated area was degreased with pre-peel cleanser, and vaseline was applied for protection of mucous membranes. Prior to the procedure, written consent was obtained and risks were reviewed, including but not limited to: redness, peeling, blistering, pigmentary change, scarring, infection, and pain. A chemical peel with 20% Salicyclic Acid was performed on the face.1 coat(s) of 20% Salicyclic Acid were applied. Post-peel frosting was 0. Post-peel erythema was none. The chemical peel self-neutralized. After the procedure, the treatment areas were washed with soap and water, and a post-peel cream was applied. Sun protection and post-care instructions were reviewed with the patient.

With above note, I'm thinking coding CPT 17630, but when I first learn billing, I was told not to use it because it's cosmetic code, but CPT code book didn't say that it's cosmetic.
Is it billable code? It doesn't have global period. How often can we perform this procedure?
Does any one use this code regularly for Acne patient?

I'm not sure if there are codes that are categorized as "cosmetic" only but you can use that code. It's the matter of if insurance will cover it because chemical peels are generally considered cosmetic, especially for acne.. Some insurance will either flat out not cover it because it's considered not medically necessary, some may cover it if you get prior authorization first with argument of medically necessity (at times will not approve it unless all other forms of topical or pill treatments failed).