Wiki Cpt 22840

Best answers
We are getting denials for using two separate levels of nonsegmental hardware across 1 interspace. We are coding 22840 twice and getting denial for one of the codes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We are getting denials for using two separate levels of nonsegmental hardware across 1 interspace. We are coding 22840 twice and getting denial for one of the codes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Why are you using 2 units? What is being documented to justify that? I'm not completely sure, but I thought you would only bill 1 unit for 1 interspace.

We are using 22840 for Coflex device at one level, and the doctor is doing a fusion at a separate level with hardware across 1 interspace. We have been getting denials and have been informed we are not allowed to bill 22840 twice during the same surgery. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I would contact Coflex. When I met with my rep about using the new Coflex device it wasn't recommend to use it in combination with a fusion. We're in FL and they hadn't worked it out yet from the payers. Because they suggested 22840 I would get with them for appeals help.

I had asked our coding expert about how to appropriately bill the Coflex device and 22840 is not accurate. The reps will tell you that because they want the doctors to get paid but the correct code to use if the device is used for a fusion is 22899 and it comparable to 22840 as far as payment is concerned. If it is used as a distraction device after a decompression then it's billed with 0171T. Our go to coding expert specifically said 22840 is not appropriate and her company does the AANS billing and reimbursements course. I've always found their information reliable.

Only one anterior or posterior instrumentation CPT code (e.g., CPT codes 22840-22847) may be reported through a single skin incision.