Wiki CPT 28297 Clarification

Heatherc7

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

Does CPT 28297 capture (CPT 28740 & 28298) or (CPT 28740 & 28292) when performed on the same side? From my understanding, CPT 28297, is the most appropriate code for the fusion and McBride. Please correct me if I'm wrong :) However, seeking more clarity specifically for an Lapdis (28740) and Akin (28298).

Thank you in advance for all your help!

It depends on which single midtarsal or TMT is being fused. If the procedure intent is bunionectomy/bunion correction (hallux valgus) and the medial cuneiform and first MT are being fused, that's 28297 and they normally call out Lapidus. But when you start combining in other procedures too it "could" turn into 28299. Some of the additional procedures are considered bundled or inherent to the main CPT being reported. See the posts below for more info: Bunion procedures are discussed in these posts, maybe helps address? There are also multiple CPT Assistant articles to refer to (I don't have access right now) but you can look them up for guidance. There are other reference links in the posts below.

It depends on which single midtarsal or TMT is being fused. If the procedure intent is bunionectomy/bunion correction (hallux valgus) and the medial cuneiform and first MT are being fused, that's 28297 and they normally call out Lapidus. But when you start combining in other procedures too it "could" turn into 28299. Some of the additional procedures are considered bundled or inherent to the main CPT being reported. See the posts below for more info: Bunion procedures are discussed in these posts, maybe helps address? There are also multiple CPT Assistant articles to refer to (I don't have access right now) but you can look them up for guidance. There are other reference links in the posts below.

Maybe it's just me, but maybe there is something inherently wrong with posting an answer before the sun comes up...