Wiki CPT 38724- NECK DISSECTION

Best answers
HOW MANY LYMPH NODES JUSTIFIES BILLING THIS CODE? I WAS TOLD 5 OR MORE FOR EACH SIDE. I WAS ALSO TOLD IT HAD TO BE FROM LEVELS 6 OR 7. PER ENCODER: The physician performs a cervical lymphadenectomy to preserve the spinal accessory nerve, jugular vein, and the sternocleidomastoid muscles. The physician makes a large curved incision starting at the ear, going down the neck, and continuing to the chin. Other incisions may be made down the neck from the original incision. Skin and tissue are retracted and the physician removes the lymph nodes. The incision is closed with sutures, including wound drains connected to suction. A tracheotomy may be performed. However, according to the essential guide to coding in otolaryngology, page 345, states levels 1-V with preservation of at least one non-lymphatic structure listed for RND. It also states this code can be used if less than all the levels are removed, but more than what is done in a suprahyoid neck dissection (38700). Our main problem is the way the surgeon's dictate. They always state took out contents, sent to pathology. Then under specimen, it states level 6/7. However, the path report shows 6 lymph nodes removed on right side and 5 on the left side. Can anyone clarify this for me? We are getting denials left and right.