Wiki CPT code intermediate vs simple repair by combination of 2 ERMDs: facility only

ens555

Networker
Best answers
Hello, I am coding for ER facility side only. Documentation meets intermediate repair laceration d/t heavy contamination & debris removal done by 1st ERMD. But pt was sent for xray to check if foreign bodies remain. Then we have shift change & 2nd ERMD does the suturing. I could argue that the work was done for intermediate repair. Curious to see how other coders view this because of the 2 ERMDs involved not one. Please bear in mind I am coding for facility side only. Thank you.

Hi
I d use the debridement ( CPT 11000 to 11047 ) on this intermediate laceration repair (CPT 12031 to 12057) and the x-ray code. Hopefully get a good notes of the record showing both physicians names while add modifier 62 on the code of laceration for first doctor. Then use modifier 81 for 2nd doc since he finished up and did lest amount of work. Ensure the external injury codes and place of occurrence (POC) are used to support reason laceration happened plus add date to the claim. I hope this will help you.
Lady T