Wiki CPT Code

Best answers
Can anyone help me with a Robotic Sigmoid colectomy with transanal extraction? Do we need to use an unlisted code?

Last edited:
I would code a laparoscopic sigmoid colectomy as 44204. The robot is simply a device used during the laparoscopic surgery, so there are not separate CPT codes. Some places will use HCPCS S2900 to indicate they used the robot, but from my experience, it only denies/pends the claim, and never results in additional payment. I would only recommend coding S2900 if your provider contract specifies the insurance will reimburse.

This is something that keeps coming up so I didn't want to start a new thread because the Guru above says it all.

I would like to vent some on this because I am having vigorous and animated conversations with some Coders about this very thing. All the research I have done over the past 2 months says we are to report the CPT code as if robotic assist is not a factor.

I commiserate and applaud all the coders trying to do the right thing for the Practices. However-----

We have a code S2900 to report as an add on code for robotic assist surgeries (make sure it applies to your specific assist). This code brings no revenue but we should report the services appropriately.
It allows these services to be tracked for the possibility of getting a CPT code in the future to best represent the services being provided. 98% of my unspecified codes due to robotic assist are denied as "there is a CPT code more appropriate for the service" - meaning code the correct service with out the robotic verbiage and add on code S2900. The other 2% take months to resolve due to note requirements and although we get paid we do not get ANY additional reimbursement from the CPT code we should have chosen. Now - this does not apply to all types of surgeries and you need to do the research yourself.

Start with your Payer policies, these will trump your coding guidelines anyway. the following payers have policies that say do not bill unlisted codes for robotic assist... Medicare, Medicaid, United Healthcare, Cigna, Aetna, Horizon BCBS, Independence Blue (IBC). (can you tell I am from the Northeast). By not following your payer contracts you delay payment and cause the payer to experience resource intensive costs. The payer contracts will change to off set this expense and never in our favor. (You still have to look at all the guidelines for your specific services to verify the proper way to code)

Oh, and don't try the 22 modifier either for robotic assist, that is the wrong application for that modifier and can put you in hot water.