Wiki CPT for Superior Trunk Block

nsteinhauser

Expert
Best answers
Hi.
The anesthesiologist did a "superior trunk block" (instead of interscalene) for a shoulder surgery for post op pain, requested by surgeon for post op pain, etc., etc.
I looked online and while there are a ton of articles about how the superior trunk is better than the interscalene, I can't find a potential cpt code anywhere.
Do I just use 64450? Any ideas out there?
Thank you.

Hi there, I also see it described as a brachial plexus block. For example https://pubs.asahq.org/anesthesiolo...792/Superior-Trunk-Block-Provides-Noninferior

Injection around the superior trunk of the brachial plexus is an alternative technique that may reduce this risk.

At any rate, you need to ask the anesthesiologist or review the note to determine whether the anesthesiologist addressed a specific nerve or nerves (and which ones) or flooded the area around several nerves with anesthetic.

I read that as describing the interscalene as an "interscalene brachial plexus" block but I don't see where the superior trunk is described as a "superior trunk brachial plexus" block. But maybe that's what you were talking about - that the interscalene is also called a brachial plexus? Sorry. Can you point out where that reference is- just for my own knowledge of what things are called ?
And like you said, I will need to ask the anesthesiologist for more info. The note doesn't describe what nerve/nerves were addressed.
Thank you for your time and help!

Superior trunk block targets the brachial plexus, so 64415 is the correct code for an injection with 64416 if it is a continuous catheter.

For some reason, anesthesia providers document the method/approach instead of the nerve targeted. As coders, we only need to know which nerve was targeted.

Last edited: