• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

CPT help for Recurrent Inguinal Strangulated hernia repair w/orchiectomy

jenp0913

Contributor
Best answers
I have chosen cpt 49521 with 54520, however, the notes state to use 49505/49507 with 54520; but those repair codes are for an initial hernia repair. Am I correct in using 49521 since the patient has had recurrent hernias for many years and is not reducible?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you

deborahcook4040

Networker
Best answers
this is probably a bit late, but I hate it when no one answers my posts :)

I agree with you, I'd use the correct CPT for the hernia and then the orchiectomy. The notes don't say you CAN'T use the code with any other code, and it's not an add-on code anyway, so it shouldn't require a specific "parent" code.