Wiki CPT needed -small finger subtotal fasciectomy

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
Isn't the CPT for above 26123? or is it 16121? UHC is denying 26123 saying it was not supported by the op note.
Description of Procedure:....Attention was turned to the volar aspect of the small finger, where a Brunner's type incision was performed. Subcutaneous tissues were carefully divided. The radial and ulnar digital arteries and nerves were identified, retracted, and protected through the remainder of the procedure. The Dupuytren's cord was identified and resected in its entirety.
I realize that the palm was not released but the finger was. Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Hmmm. Is that all it says? Does it state anywhere that the digit was was released or refer to PIP/DIP anywhere? Those two CPT are definitely for the fasciECTOMY but if that's all the op note states I can see why they don't like it. They are probably looking for the words "with release of single digit" or something like that statement. That or they are trying to (incorrectly) tell you it should be 26045 which is for fasciOTOMY which doesn't look like what was described. It think the op note just isn't detailed enough.

Yes, that is all it says as it pertains to the Dupuytrens. The op note does state that the Dupuytrens cord was resected in its entirety. I thought that was jusifying the fascietomy. Am I wrong?

Meant fasciectomy.
You're not wrong but I think they are being really picky about this one. You could appeal with the notes, CPT lay description and any CPT Assistant or other official info you could find. So annoying. Maybe the reviewer doesn't even know or do ortho. :rolleyes:. I have gone round and round with UHC so many times on the provider side.