Wiki CRC fail exam

Highlight with your pencil the important facts in the question like the approach, body part, etc. Then go straight to the CPT codes that are usually grouped together in the answer and compare the terminology in the question. Review codes above and below each CPT. Eliminate the ones that don't match first. Be familiar with the guidelines in that section and always read the parenthesis. Also If the answer has a DX code too, you can look up that to eliminate an answer.

Make sure you understand sequencing very well. I focused highly on anything related to - Hypertension, Hypertensive, Heart Disease, Diabetes and Kidney Disease. This helped immensely.

Also knowing your modifiers very thoroughly will help. Be able to locate your Appendix L for Vascular Families. Be familiar with how to locate body/organ systems in anatomical illustrations at beginning of CPT.
Good luck--you can do this. It took me 2 tries to be a CPC but it was worth it.

There were no CPT codes or modifiers on my test.

For cases, read the question first and look through the answers first. When I took my exam, I didn't read through the entire case. I mainly just looked at the Assessment and Plan/Discharge Diagnoses. Look at your answers and cross of codes that are the same. You'll see that the difference ends up being just a few codes each question. These are the ones you focus on. That means you won't have to worry about those codes/diagnoses. Someone here also mentioned sequencing. That is very important as knowing which code goes first can eliminate 1-3 answers. Purchase the CRC practice exam. I did not do this for my test, but I have had someone show me the practice exams, and they are very similar to the test. Some of the questions are exactly the same.

The focus on hypertension, ckd, heart failure, and diabetes is also really important, especially with the new changes that have been going on.

Crc

There isn't CPT coding on the CRC exam.

For those brutally long coding scenarios, I actually looked at the potential answers first. I took a second to do this :

Look at the potential answers
Do any of them have common ICD 10 codes in it?
Look that code up, write it down
Browse the question. Does it say anything about that code in there? no, eliminate that as a possibility. I crossed it off in my booklet.
Yes, the question touches on that. Move on the another DX in the potential answer. Is it documented in the chart?

It took a few seconds longer probably, but it helped me eliminate the wrong potential answers and then I could focus on the ones left that could be right. I eliminated that way.

Also, pay attention to the "code also" in the book.

I passed it on my first attempt, and that was the same method I used when I sat for my CPC too. Eliminate what you don't need as quickly as possible.

Crc

I passed my CRC on the first try. I used the method of allowing 1 hour per a column on the scan tron and skip longer questions. I finished my test within 4 hours. I always read the question first then process of elimination for he answers. For the CRC, make sure you know your guidelines and the order for the codes, that’s 1/2 the test. I felt it was a lot of common sense questions. Good luck on your next try!