Wiki Critical care documentation - making any addendum

mimzmac

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

If a PA noted 35mins of net critical care time on a patient and the MD just signed off the chart without making any addendum, is this enough to bill the critical care time? Or does the MD need to make an addendum regarding the critical care time?

Please help.
Thanks.
Mimz

PA- critical care

In a teaching hospital, the signature alone is insufficient. If non teaching, I believe a cosignature is sufficient, although it's concerning that the doctor didn't follow up

Hi. Thank you.
I work in the ER and the MD just co-signed the PA's notes and he didn't say anything else.
There is also another chart that the resident documented 35 mins of net critical care time and the MD just signed the chart without mentioning the net critical care time. In this one I think the MD should make an addendum regarding the critical care time right?
What are your thoughts about the two scenarios?
Thanks.
Mimz

critical care

if you work for a teaching hospital, critical care generally is only billable by the attending PROVIDED he documents his work and time. He can't piggy back on someone's notes for critical care.

That said, PA's can perform critical care in certain institutions with only the MD's signature. You would post the cc charges under the PA