• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Critical care transport code

mcraven

New
Best answers
Can anyone help me with this? 35 year old patient, gun shot wound, transported to another hospital with physician present, 28 minutes. Would this be coded to 99499 since 99281-99288 states while the patient is in the emergency room? Please help.

Best answers
Critical care needs 30 minutes

Well, I'm guessing this is a critically ill/injured patient and the doctor is providing critical care ... but you only have 28 minutes, not 30, so you can't use 99291.

The only transport code for physician use is for pediatric patients, so those are out.

I think you may be looking at 99499 Unlisted E/M service. List your explanation as Critical Care Transport, include the notes and be prepared to appeal.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC