Wiki Critical care with a discharge

Cynthia A

Networker
Best answers
Inpatient scenerio. patient seen with a cc code of 99291 then was transfered out to another hospital on the same day as the doc did a discharge summary of 99239. which code do i use the 99291 or the 99239 since both of these codes are correct and both done on the same day.

What was the date of admit? If it is the same as the date of discharge then use 99234-99236. If not, then you can only bill one or the other (99291 or 99239). You can not bill anyother code with 99238-99239 on the same date of service. I hope I haven't caused you more confusion. Other thoughts out there?

this is not an observation patient or on the same day as the admit.

It answers one on my questions,

now that i can only bill out for one code which code do i bill for? the 99291 or the discharge 99239.

Do you have the documentation to support the Critical care code? The provider has to state how much time was spent with the pt and cannot be seeing other pts at the same time.

Well since you can't use both I would use the Critical Care code. BUT Only if the Dr has documented he/she spent more than 30 minutes critical care time with patient. It will get the Dr more money and as long as it supports the time documentation it is perfectly ok to use.