Wiki D & C cpt code for retained products of conception

sblaconis

New
Best answers
I'm helping out with OB/Gyn coding and I cannot find anything about this particular problem. A patient had a d&c for retained POC several weeks after she delivered so they had to dilate the cervix. So she still is in the puerperium. I know that I should use cpt code 58120 but then the dx code O73.1 doesn't support this CPT code. Maybe I just use it anyway? Or maybe I should code N93.8 Other specified abnormal uterine and vaginal bleeding, it is in the provider's note.
I appreciate any help with this.
Sarah

hello,
I am not an expert. Since nobody replied so far, I would post my thinking (however, I am not confident). I would go with 59160- Curettage, postpartum. "This procedure removes tissues remaining in the uterus instead of being expelled during childbirth." even though dilation was done in your case. To me, 59160 is more appropriate while 58120 is for abortive outcome or missed abortion. OR because Dilation was done, it could be Unlisted 59899- maternity care and delivery like 58120. But still, I like 59160. Again, I am not sure and still learning. :)