Wiki Denial on CPT 33249 by Texas Medicare

bcousey26

Networker
Best answers
I've been on the phone with Notivas (Medicare-JH4-MAC) regarding the denial of CPT 33249. According to the rep, the claim was denied as it needs either a Q0 or Q1 modifier, in addition to an medically necessary diagnosis code.

The medical necessity of the diagnosis code is more than understandable, but I've never and I mean NEVER had to use either a Q0 and/or Q1 on 33249. Is this a new rule? From what information I can gather these modifier are used for clinical research patient-This patient is not under clinical research to my immediate knowledge.

Is anyone else having to place Q0/Q1 modifier when billing 33249. Where can I locate educational information under CMS or Notivas so that I can inform our charge entry staff.

This is confusing....Any help is greatly appreciated.

CMS Requirements

Your best solution is going to be to call CMS and ask them to acquaint you with any adjustments in their requirements for this code. Their requirements have a tendency to change often; they do notify us, but, as you well know, we are all busy and sometimes miss requirement notifications unless we work directly with nothing but CMS coding.

I have found it most beneficial to create liaisons within the payer offices so that anytime I have a problem with denials, rejections, or unfamiliar coding I just call and ask what they require.

L4uniki

Thank you for your assistance, but I have contacted Medicare. I just wanted to confirm if this was something that any other MAC has experienced. I've searched all of my bulletins that I receive from Medicare and haven't had any luck.

Each employee at our practice, regardless of their position and/or title, receives bulletins from CMS to ensure that we're up to date with any possible denials, updates, etc.

What that being said-is there anyone else that has experiences this type of denial because this one is very odd.....We've never had to place this type of modifier onto a ICD.

33249 denials

Thank you for your assistance, but I have contacted Medicare. I just wanted to confirm if this was something that any other MAC has experienced. I've searched all of my bulletins that I receive from Medicare and haven't had any luck.

Each employee at our practice, regardless of their position and/or title, receives bulletins from CMS to ensure that we're up to date with any possible denials, updates, etc.

What that being said-is there anyone else that has experiences this type of denial because this one is very odd.....We've never had to place this type of modifier onto a ICD.

I'm in Arkansas and Novitas is our MAC and we are receiving denials wanting the Q0 modiifer as well. Did you receive any information or get this resolved. The patients that I have are not in clinical trials.