Wiki Dental question

Best answers
If an established dental patient calls his dentist after hours for a new gum issue and the dentist talks to the patient over the phone for 5 minutes and diagnoses/prescribes an antibiotic, what can the dentist code for this encounter?

Last edited:
You could consider the teledentistry codes D9995 and D9996 (modality) and D0140 for the exam. The ADA has specific guidance on the use of these codes and the documentation for the services. There was some leniency provided during the height of the pandemic that may have changed. Your provider will need to document in the same manner that he would if it were an in-office visit. I have attached the latest version of the guidance I have....hope this helps.

Attachments

• ADA COVID Coding and Billing Guidance 04.03.20.pdf
    907.3 KB · Views: 4
You could consider the teledentistry codes D9995 and D9996 (modality) and D0140 for the exam. The ADA has specific guidance on the use of these codes and the documentation for the services. There was some leniency provided during the height of the pandemic that may have changed. Your provider will need to document in the same manner that he would if it were an in-office visit. I have attached the latest version of the guidance I have....hope this helps.
Hello,
I have a question. If dentist documents, patient called in to Dental, spoke to receptionist requesting mouth rinse RX, Dentist reviewed records, but did not speak to patient. Upon reviewing records, Dentist noted past magic mouth wash was prescribed, assessed okay to do new Rx, new script was sent to Pharmacy. This does not qualify as asynchronous teledental visit, right? Dentist did not state if he actually assessed patient. Documentation is very brief. The Dentists I am currently working with, I feel are not utilizing D9995/D9996 correctly.