Wiki Depo medrol

Unfortunately, I cannot supply a definitive answer, but do not like to see unanswered questions in the forum. Am wondering if you could use the depo medro code of J1020 and for the units submitted bill. .25 since this would be a fraction of this particular code? Any others care to jump in? Otherwise, not sure if it would be appropriate to use an unlisted J code for this. Just my thoughts....

You cannot bill partial units of drugs. If you only give 5 mgs of a drug, but a full single unit per HCPCS description for the lowest amount is 10 mgs, then you would bill a single unit of the drug.

J1020 20 mgs (depomedrol) is the lowest increment available, it should be reported with 1 unit if only 5 mgs were given.

Last edited:
You cannot bill partial units of drugs. If you only give 5 mgs of a drug, but a full single unit per HCPCS description for the lowest about is 10 mgs then you would bill a single unit of the drug.

J1020 20 mgs (depomedrol) is the lowest increment available, it should be reported with 1 unit if only 5 mgs were given.

I agree

I agree; that makes sense. But, what if the notes stated, "80 mg concentration?" Does the concentration matter? I have a note that says "10 mg used."