Wiki Dermatology Post Operative Wound Check (No Global Period-Mohs)

Best answers
I posted this in the Dermatology group and haven't received a response yet so I'm hoping to get some more traction here. Our dermatology practice often sees patients who heal secondarily (no repair) or where we've applied a skin substitute graft after the Mohs procedure 1 week and/or 1 month after the surgery. During these visits the wound is evaluated, patient is given wound care instructions and sometimes dressings are changed or a new skin substitute graft is reapplied. If there is possible infection a culture is performed and sent for further testing. In the case where there is no procedure done (no graft reapplication) and the wound is evaluated as above, can an E/M service be applied? I do understand there is no global period for Mohs. Like many others we use EMA for our EHR system; we are currently using a post operative wound check as our impression and plan. New to this and so grateful for the help!

If there is no global period, you can bill an E/M as long as documentation supports it. You may check with your practice though, in case there is some reason they don't. In some cases, providers may not be aware of which services are 90/10/0 day global and they make the assumption of 90 days to be on the safe side.