Wiki Diabetes related

gout related/due to DM, what code can or should be used?

There's a code for secondary gout. M1A.4- (digits after the 4 specifying the location of the gout in the body). If the documentation supports it, I'd use that for the gout.

Or were you looking for a diabetes complication code and not the gout code?

Gout is a form of arthritis. I'd research whether it is appropriate to use the diabetes with arthropathy code if the documentation specifically links diabetes and gout.

It isn't a scenario I've coded before, so I'm hesitant to say "yes, use the arthropathy complication code." However, if I were coding that chart, that's a direction I'd research.

There's a code for secondary gout. M1A.4- (digits after the 4 specifying the location of the gout in the body). If the documentation supports it, I'd use that for the gout.

Or were you looking for a diabetes complication code and not the gout code?

Gout is a form of arthritis. I'd research whether it is appropriate to use the diabetes with arthropathy code if the documentation specifically links diabetes and gout.

It isn't a scenario I've coded before, so I'm hesitant to say "yes, use the arthropathy complication code." However, if I were coding that chart, that's a direction I'd research.
Thanks for your assistance. Yes I was looking for the DM code. I also reviewed the E11.618 code but saw no notes related specifically to gout.