Wiki Diagnosis Z32.01

kareng77

New
Best answers
I was always under the impression that it is only appropriate to use Z32.01 when the pregnancy test is performed in the office. I have a new practice that uses this diagnosis when the patient performs the test outside of the practice. Please advise as to what scenario is correct or if they are both correct.

I do not code OB/GYN, so perhaps I am mistaken, but-
Z32.01 is for the encounter for the pregnancy test. it should only be used when the test is being performed at the time of service.

Are you coding for the OB/GYN or for a different provider?
if you are NOT coding for the OB, Z33.1 - pregnant state, incidental, may be appropriate.

That is how I have always used it in the past. If the pregnancy test is performed in the office, result positive, then I would code Z32.01. However, I have a new practice that is doing telehealth visits with that diagnosis as primary and the patient is the one that has done the pregnancy test. So, it threw up a red flag for me.

That is how I have always used it in the past. If the pregnancy test is performed in the office, result positive, then I would code Z32.01. However, I have a new practice that is doing telehealth visits with that diagnosis as primary and the patient is the one that has done the pregnancy test. So, it threw up a red flag for me.
good coder instincts.
:)