Wiki Dialysis Center coding question, is a code from V56.x required?

moore509

Best answers
Can anyone provide me some documentation that says that dialysis centers billing for a dialysis "session" has to code the claim as V56.x, 585.6? I have not been able to find anything that says the V code in this situation is mandatory.

Here is my next question.... How can I encourage Dialysis centers to code the V56.x code for patients when it is applicable? Besides doing the right thing, and coding with as much specificity as possible, I cannot see a benefit the dialysis center would have in using the V code.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

Kelly :cool:

The coding guidelines specify that when the reason for the encounter is the aftercare then the V code is to be first listed. "The aftercare codes are generally first listed to explain the specific reason for the encounter."

Thank you Debra! :) I agree 100% with you. I need to dig a little deeper into this issue. We know an encounter code should be used. How do I convince the coders at the dialysis centers, who will not get additional $ for coding the claims correctly, that they should put the V code on the claim when appropriate? I would gladly welcome your advice.
Thanks
Kelly