Difference between O20.9 & O46.91.( Bleeding in early pregnancy)

Best answers
Hi All,
I am not able to make out what is difference between O20.9 & O46.91 in ICD 10 CM.

O20.9 Hemorrhage in early pregnancy, unspecified.
O46.91 Antepartum hemorrhage first trimester.

Please clarify on that.:confused:

Regards

Manish Kumar

CPC

higher specificity

My first thought is maybe the first code is meant to be used when the provider hasn't documented the exact trimester / gestational period. The second for a higher specificity.
I am very new at this and may be totally wrong, but thought I would weigh in. Good luck. :)

O20.9 Vs O46.91

Hi Manish,

If you go through the description under O21.X series, its explaining Early pregnancy as "Before completion of 20 weeks gestation". As per my understanding any hemorrhage/bleeding (except documented Abortion) occurring before 20 weeks should be reported with O21.9 codes series. From 20th week of gestation till Delivery O46.91 is eligible to code.

Hope this is helpful.

Ipshita COC

Hello! This is a bit later, but I'm also wondering what the difference would be between O20.8 (Other hemorrhage in early pregnancy) or O26.851 (Spotting complicating pregnancy). Thank you!

Also here specificity needs to be taken into consideration. Obviously, there is difference between hemorrage and spotting. If your provider states in the document 'spotting' you don't go for hemorrhage. The medical terminology for hemorrhage indicates the bursting forth of blood; where as in spotting the amount is scant. Moreover, if we have the definite term in the document but couldn't find the exact specific type of hemorrhage in the icd then we use Other hemorrage. Hope this makes sense.