Wiki DILATION AND CURETTAGE, UTERUS, USING SUCTION POST PARTUM

Best answers
The patient had a vaginal delivery and was discharged. Days later, patient is admitted due to vaginal bleeding where a suction and sharp curettage plus placement of Jada was performed by my provider. What code can I use?

I am unsure if 59160 would be applicable as description states: "This procedure removes tissues remaining in the uterus instead of being expelled during childbirth".

The patient had a vaginal delivery and was discharged. Days later, patient is admitted due to vaginal bleeding where a suction and sharp curettage plus placement of Jada was performed by my provider. What code can I use?

I am unsure if 59160 would be applicable as description states: "This procedure removes tissues remaining in the uterus instead of being expelled during childbirth".
Hi, I would still code 59160. From my Coding Companion, "The physician gently scrapes the endometrial lining of the uterus to control bleeding, treat obstetric lacerations or remove any remaining placental tissue. "

On March 16, 2023 I posted the following on how to code for use of Jada: This is indeed a procedure that controls hemorrhage and a take on the Bakri balloon. So this can only be billed as an unlisted procedure (59899). A person I know at ACOG has indicated they have no plans for asking CPT to add any codes for use of either the Bakri balloon or the Jada device. As to the work, it would be comparable to 59160 (PP currettage) per the description on the Jada site and given the equipment use. The balloon is passive so better compared to a balloon catheter insertion.