Wiki discharge 99238 & 99239

Discharge

For discharge ... Is this the attending physician (or if a case of death, the physician who pronounced the patient)? Is time documented?

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Does time have to be documented? The code reads 30 minutes OR LESS. I've just recently started to use 99238 for newborn services subsequent to the admission date as stated in the CPT book.

I read an article in a pediatric coding newsletter I am subscribed to and it basically says to check your reports to make sure this code is being used.

I've been using 99238 for all newborns discharged on date subsequent to the admission. Is this correct?

Original post asked how to audit

The original poster asked how I audit ...
I audit by asking two main questions:
1) is the physician the attending physician (or in the case of death of patient, the physician who pronounced patient)
2) Is time noted

If the answer to question # 1 is NO ... this is not eligible for 99238 or 99239.
If the answer question # 1 is YES, then I look for the answer to question # 2.

So answer to question # 1 MUST be "yes" to go any further ...
If the answer to question # 2 is YES, then I use 99238 or 99239 depending on the time noted.
If the answer to question #2 is NO, then I default to 99238.

Additional Question!

The original poster asked how I audit ...
I audit by asking two main questions:
1) is the physician the attending physician (or in the case of death of patient, the physician who pronounced patient)
2) Is time noted

If the answer to question # 1 is NO ... this is not eligible for 99238 or 99239.
If the answer question # 1 is YES, then I look for the answer to question # 2.

So answer to question # 1 MUST be "yes" to go any further ...
If the answer to question # 2 is YES, then I use 99238 or 99239 depending on the time noted.
If the answer to question #2 is NO, then I default to 99238.

I have heard during some workshops and webinars that the start/stop times to be recorded. Can you confirm if this is needed now?