Wiki DKA TYPE 2

oceangirl752002

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone clarify - is it presumed that DKA is due to poorly controlled diabetes? Pnt has DM2 with DKA w/o coma. Can I code E11.10 with E11.65 or would E11.65 not be necessary? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will only need to code the DKA as the poorly controlled diabetes will be integral to the DKA.

There is this coding clinic in reference of DKA type 1 but it pretty much applies to your case.

Coding Clinic, Third Quarter 2013 Pg. 20

Question:

Coding Clinic for ICD-9-CM states that ketoacidosis is inherently uncontrolled diabetes. Therefore, how would you report uncontrolled type I diabetes with ketoacidosis in ICD-10-CM? Should the code for diabetes with hyperglycemia (E10.65) be reported in addition to the code for diabetes ketoacidosis (E10.10)? Or should only the code for diabetic ketoacidosis be reported since ketoacidosis is considered uncontrolled diabetes? We believe that the two codes are redundant; however, there are no instructional and/or excludes notes to guide coders as to the appropriate reporting of uncontrolled type I diabetes with ketoacidosis.

Answer:

No, in this case, it is not appropriate to assign code E10.65, Type 1 diabetes mellitus with hyperglycemia, together with code E10.10. Assign only code E10.10, Type 1 diabetes mellitus with ketoacidosis without coma. Ketoacidosis signifies uncontrolled diabetes.