Wiki DM and Neuropathy

kimms

Best answers
Hi, if a doctor documents diabetes and then later lists Neuropathy in his diagnosis list. Can you assume Neuropathy was caused by the diabetes? I don't believe you can do this, but I was told to assume the two even if not stated as due to or with. Please tell me where I can find the guidelines that states you can assume. Thank you :)

The coding guidelines has an entire section on diabetes and states that the physician must document that the condition is a manifestation of the diabetes. The coding guidelines are very specific for the instances when causal relations are presumed to exist and guide to the correct coding.

Thank you, this is how I felt. Only I am being told by a supervisor to assume the DM and the Neuropathy. It was stated that there was a new guideline for this and I haven't found it. So thanks for the info.

If your supervisor can produce this guideline I would love to see it, but the only official guidelines that are HIPAA mandated to tbe followed are those from the CDC, on the first page of the guidelines is a paragraph that tells us these are HIPAA mandated to be followed.