Wiki Doing Away with Consults

emartinez

New
Best answers
I heard of a proposal of doing away with consults. For those who does inpatient coding, they propose that a 99221-99223 be billed versus a consult code. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking would this not create a lot of denials when insurance sees two admit codes being billed on the same date range a pt is in the hospital (i.e. attending bills admit code first, then a hospitalist bills it again) ????? Has anyone heard of this at all, and have any additional info in regards to any problems it might create? Need feedback please. Thanks.

The final rule should be out in Nov I got that from an earlier post that I sent. We have a lot of MD who use these codes.

This is just a proposal right now. As Karen stated the final rule should be out Nov 1. CMS is proposing a modifier that the attending/admitting physician would use to differentiate his/her charges from any consultant.

Doreen, CPC

They haven't developed the modifier yet. That would only come after they announce the final rule. But the info about their proposal is in the Federal Register, I posted the link in info on here previously. I am on my laptop so I don't have my favorites list to access it easily or I would repost.

Laura, CPC, CEMC