Wiki DOT Physical Question

amber2262

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
One of our office does physicals for DOT employees. We provide the DOT physical card (medical examiner certificate) that the driver must carry and is valid for one or two years. Today, we received a call from a THP Officer requesting verification of the date of physical and expiration date of card. He had the driver pulled over and stated to our office that this was a requirement. Any input on this??

Not knowing which state you are from, these can vary from state to state. Best advice I can give is to get this request in writing. Most law enforcement requests will be sent on form letters that will list the statute under which they can obtain this information. In this case, I would be polite but firm to the officer that his/her request should be made in writiing. In my many years in this business I have not encountered any pushback for this - and will often get the request within the next day.

We are in TN. I experience this last year, but I refused to give the officer any information. He had the driver on the side of the road, but I was firm and told him I had to speak with the patient and couldn't release anything to him. A coworker received another call today with the same thing.

Sounds like you may need to research your state regs/laws to check if this is a "requirement." Not having this type of regulation in my state, I can't help much more than that.