Wiki dry needling

Best answers
Can someone please tell me if dry needling codes 20560 and 20561 can be billed by a physical therapist in 2023? Is it still considered expiramental?

Whether or not a physical therapist can perform dry needling is going to depend on what your States's scope of practice indicates is allowed to be performed by a physical therapist. As to whether it is considered experimental, if you are referring to Medicare you can look to the NCD for Acupuncture for Chronic Lower Back Pain (cLBP) 30.3.3 which indicates the following:

1698691098315.png

Medicare also limits the types of providers who can provide Acupuncture services, including dry needling, to the following:
1698691188001.png

It doesn't seem like a physical therapist is likely to meet these criteria, unless they have training as an acupuncturist or licensure as an acupuncturist and are under the supervision of a physician. Also, coverage is limited to the treatment of Chronic Lower Back Pain (cLBP) for Medicare at least. For your commercial payers it is going to depend on whether dry needling is covered by the various plans.

Hi Sherry
Ensure the Phy.Therapy is preauthorized with payer , add referral provider on claim.I read dry needling CPT codes are CPT 97810 -97811 for muscle pains using as way for phy therapy treatments. I thought CPT 20560 was trigger point injections done by licensed provider & listing infectible.
I hope this data helps you.
Lady T