Wiki DVT/PE clarification

kerenorozco

Contributor
Best answers
History of is when there is no evidence of disease AND pt no longer receiving treatment. So my question is with DVT. The clots have resolved but pt is still taking anticoagulants. Would this now be coded as History of DVT with the current use of anticoagulants? Or Chronic DVT with current use of anticoagulants?

I82.509, Z79.01

OR

Z86.718, Z79.01

I've always assumed history of. Need clarification.

Thank you,

I would agree with you and code this as history. Generally once the PE or DVT is resolved, the anticoagulant therapy is continued for prevention of recurrent clots and isn’t ongoing treatment of the current condition. Chronic DVTs are ones that do not resolve and would be so stated in the record.

(Also, doesn’t the coding rule you’re citing here just apply to cancers?)

History of is when there is no evidence of disease AND pt no longer receiving treatment. So my question is with DVT. The clots have resolved but pt is still taking anticoagulants. Would this now be coded as History of DVT with the current use of anticoagulants? Or Chronic DVT with current use of anticoagulants?

I82.509, Z79.01

OR

Z86.718, Z79.01

I've always assumed history of. Need clarification.

Thank you,
If there is no evidence of DVT and no longer receiving treatment means we can code the diagnosis as Z09, Z86.718, Z79.01