Wiki E codes

alsmdl

Best answers

I know hospitals can make different decisions for there facilities. For example one hospital will have you code a EKG for the ED physician if the documentatin is correct and another will not.

The situation I ran into is the hosptial group told the Billing Company that they do not want us to use any E codes. Since we are speaking of physician coding and not facility it did not sound like they can eliminate a code we would use.

E codes are very important to overdoses, accidents, assaults, dog bites, etc etc and I can not imagine why they would say we can't use them. Has anyone come across something like this?
April Lytle

Please post an example of what codes they do not wish for you to use in conjunction with E-codes. Is it all codes or just a family of codes?

I know hospitals can make different decisions for there facilities. For example one hospital will have you code a EKG for the ED physician if the documentatin is correct and another will not.

The situation I ran into is the hosptial group told the Billing Company that they do not want us to use any E codes. Since we are speaking of physician coding and not facility it did not sound like they can eliminate a code we would use.

E codes are very important to overdoses, accidents, assaults, dog bites, etc etc and I can not imagine why they would say we can't use them. Has anyone come across something like this?
April Lytle

This would probably not be a good decision by the hospital group. E codes are important especially to any of the codes in the 800 and 900 series. The instruction that precede Chapter 17 states to use E codes to identify the cause and intent of the injury or poisoning. Insurance companies do look at the E codes. They are not primary codes, but they are essential in giving a full picture of an injury or poisoning...where, how, why it occured!

I would definitely ask for more clarification as to why they are thinking E codes won't be required.