Wiki E/M 2021 collapsed reimbursement

jessmae

New
Best answers
Initially CMS proposed that payments be collapsed for E/M's in 2021. 99202-99204 would be $130, 99212-99214 would be $90. I am pretty sure that was rescinded, but I am having trouble locating supporting documentation on CMS. I found various articles stating it was rescinded, but nothing official from CMS. Can anyone point me to that? My upper Management still believes the payment collapse is happening, articles aren't enough support.

In the 2020 PFS Final Rule, which you can find in the link below, see page 62852, the proposal for a blended rate for E/M levels 2-4 was dropped. Of course, the 2021 Final Rule won't be issued until late this year, so we don't know for sure what will happen, but it looks to me as though they are no longer pursuing this particular change.

We believed that the single blended payment rate for E/M office/outpatient visit levels 2–4 better accounted for the resources associated with the typical visit. After reviewing the RUC recommendations, in conjunction with the revised code descriptors and documentation guidelines for CPT codes 99202 through 99215, we believe codes and recommended values would more accurately account for the time and intensity of office/outpatient E/M visits than either the current codes and values or the values we finalized in the CY 2019 PFS final rule for CY 2021. Therefore, we proposed to establish separate values for Levels 2–4 office/outpatient E/M visits for both new and established patients rather than continue with the blended rate. We proposed to accept the RUC-recommended work and time values for the revised office/outpatient E/M visit codes without refinement for CY 2021.