Wiki E/M Codes

spharrel

Networker
Best answers
How do you know when you need to have an E/M code, I will be taking my exam on November 7th and I have purchased the practice exams and wanted to know how do you determine when you need more than one code?:)

The first thing that I would do is to read the note and identify the location, type of patient, type of service, what was done. Take your pen or pencil and underline the key points in the note.
The patient type would be like new or established, and age.
Location of service would be like office/Outpatient clinic, ED, hospital, etc
What services and supplies were ordered and performed.
All of these and more will be in your CPT 2009 manual.
Think of it this way, whatever the MD does with the patient, you want to code properly for the services they have done, you would never just use one code otherwise you may have discounted the services the MD has done, thus receiving a low reimbursement...ouch!!
Study the concepts in each section of the CPT book, start with the E&M section it will give you more info about what I have mentioned above.
JeffC

It has been awhile since I took the CPC and I am an E/M auditor so it is hard to answer this from an unbiased view so I will just give you the simple answer that applies to all parts of the test, not just E/M. Read the question and answers before you read the supporting documentation they provide. That way you know what you are looking for and you don't waste time trying to figure something out that isn't part of the question. Work smarter, not harder.

While it is important to understand when you can or can't bill for an E/M and being able to level is very important, the CPC exam doesn't go into major detail when it comes to E/M. Be familiar with your E/M codes, maybe write some notes beside those ones that are 3 of 3 and those that are 2 of 3 and highlight the key differences between them so they will stand out to you.

Remember, everything you need to know to pass that test is in those 3 books, you just have to know where to look.

Good luck,

Laura, CPC, CEMC