Wiki E/M for STD screening prior to IUD?

ELBrock

Networker
Best answers
Hello! My providers are stating they believe they should be reimbursed for an E/M visit at the same time as an IUD Insertion if they are doing STD screening prior to the procedure. Does anyone have info on if this is correct? I'm new to OB Coding, but in my mind, you can't bill E/M codes for screening services, and that it would be considered "minimal" work and included in the procedure for the IUD Insertion. Any thoughts or resources? Thank you!

An E/M wouldn't be appropriate simply because the labs were done. A good test of the documentation is to print it, take a black marker to everything related to the procedure. If you still have documentation for the labs that stands on its own, you'll have an E/M.

Hi :) I don't think an E/M visit should be billed unless the patient has had recent contact/exposure to STD and they have complaints. If that is the case, then there should be proper documentation and a different ICD 10 code other than the IUD insertion one. If a patient comes into our office for an IUD insertion, we bill just that unless we do a pregnancy test as well, which we link Z32.xx to.

An E/M wouldn't be appropriate simply because the labs were done. A good test of the documentation is to print it, take a black marker to everything related to the procedure. If you still have documentation for the labs that stands on its own, you'll have an E/M.
Oh I love that idea of marking out everything to do with the procedure to see what's left!! Awesome trick!

I agree! Thank you, I think that is a great idea! I'm going to do that from now on for other situations too, such as annual exams with problem visits!