Wiki E-Prescribing Penalty

dgdoughty

Best answers
Does anyone have an answer to the problem of compliance to the e-prescribing requirements to avoid penalty? General Surgeons often do not prescribe in the office but instead write the prescription in the hospital upon discharge. How will these providers be able to comply with the minimum electronic prescriptions?

I've had to research this for my surgeons. What may work in your favor are two of the exceptions for reporting listed below. The denominator codes do not include inpatient E&M codes or the global E&M code qualifying the surgeon for #1, and the numbers may crunch to exempt them because of the high allowance for surgery compared to the E&M charge allowance for services in the denominator codes for #2.

1. Does not have at least 100 cases during the January-June 2011 period containing an encounter code in the measure denominator;

2. Has less than 10% of their total allowed Part B FFS charges comprised of charges from the eRx measure denominator during the January-June 2011period.

I also discovered that the surgeons' use of a hospital's qualified EHR system does not "count" for the reporting for payment adjustment.