Wiki E0676 Pneumatic Compression Device

kpichon

Networker
Best answers
Has anyone billed and gotten paid from Medicare for E0676? Our foot docs are wanting to use this but the code isnt on the Dmepos fee schedule. I did see the Lcd policy that states its considered preventative for the prevention of DVT. The rep that is pushing this is stating Medicare does pay for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds to me like either the rep is misinformed OR they are knowingly giving you false information.
I would ask for it in writing.

We had a similar situation when Cologuard first came out, they swore it would be covered, when it wasn't.
We had it added to our contract that if insurance doesn't pay (an insurance that Exact Sciences swore would pay), they would cover the costs and our patients would not be billed.

Back to your question...
per CMS Local Coverage Article (emphasis added by me):

PREVENTION OF VENOUS THROMBOEMBOLISM

A PCD that provides intermittent limb compression for the purpose of prevention of venous thromboembolism (E0676) is a preventive service. Items that are used for a preventative service or function are excluded from coverage under the Medicare DME benefit.

E0676​
INTERMITTENT LIMB COMPRESSION DEVICE (INCLUDES ALL ACCESSORIES), NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFIED​
Therefore, claims for E0676 will be statutorily denied as no Medicare benefit.