Wiki E11.51

angelalhale

Contributor
Best answers
When coding Diabetes with PVD or PAD, code E11.51, do you also code I70.2- and I73.-? My coworkers and I are having trouble finding any guidelines for this. thanks

When coding Diabetes with PVD or PAD, code E11.51, do you also code I70.2- and I73.-? My coworkers and I are having trouble finding any guidelines for this. thanks

It's in the ICD-10 guidelines under combination codes:

"Multiple coding should not be used when the classification provides a combination code that clearly identifies all of the elements documented in the diagnosis. When the combination code lacks necessary specificity in describing the manifestation or complication, an additional code should be used as a secondary code."

You would never ever code I73.9 and E11.51 together. I73.9 doesn't provide any additional specificity that isn't already captured in the E11.51.

There are times where you may need to add an I70.2- code, ONLY if adding that code would provide additional specificity about laterality, affected vessel, or complications like rest pain. If no new information would be captured with the additional code, you'd code only the E11.51. (If you need a specific citation for this, check Coding Clinic 3rd Quarter 2018.)