Wiki ear lesion

Ksumansky

Best answers
Hello, I am not sure on the coding with the following scenario. Any help would be appreciated.

The lesion (chondrodermatitis nodularis helicis) of the helical rim was excised in a wedge-like fashion. After hemostasis was obtained bilateral contracutaneous advancement flaps were elevated for coverage.

I am not sure if you can code 69110 and 14060. Or just 14060 since usually lesion excision is included in that code.
Thank you for you help.

Hello, I disagree, 69110 and 14060 should not be billed together; these are 2 separate procedures that both include an excision and repair; after reading your "op note" descriptive, CPT 69110 is your best choice, this is usually a wedge excision with layered closure; your physician advanced the two sides to complete the repair, usually requiring layered sutures. If you read the guidelines for 14060, this includes the excision of lesion and/or repair by adjacent tissue transfer, and it goes on to describe the tissue transfers and rearrangements. I usually utilize this code when the documentation clearly indicates that significant plastic repair has been done with the plasties and flaps as described.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer
ENT in CT