Wiki Echo Billing: Under Date of Service or Date of Interpretation?

Best answers
Hello all!
Question: Our office performs echo and stress echos - we own all the equipment in house, and our MDs interpret.
I've noticed that our company recently started billing these on the date that the tests are interpreted by the MD, rather than the date that the test was performed (usually within 48 hrs)
Is this correct?
I know we do this with things like Holter /event monitors (like Zio monitors), but we don't own the equipment or programs for those - so we bill once we receive the report from the company and our MDs review, and the Zio company bills the patient for their portion.
But we never did this with echos.
Before 2011, (when we had paper superbills, and paper charts), I entered the charges for echos - and we always billed on the date of service. I no longer do that data entry - but recently needed to audit that our echos were being billed and saw the date difference.
Please advise!

If you're billing the actual procedure from the facility, you bill the date the echo was performed.

If you are billing the professional interpretation, you will be billing the date that the provider interpreted the echo. We encourage our providers to try to read and sign off on the same day, but often it's a day or two later.

If you're billing the actual procedure from the facility, you bill the date the echo was performed.

If you are billing the professional interpretation, you will be billing the date that the provider interpreted the echo. We encourage our providers to try to read and sign off on the same day, but often it's a day or two later

If you are billing the professional interpretation, you will be billing the date that the provider interpreted the echo. We encourage our providers to try to read and sign off on the same day, but often it's a day or two later.
I have a new coder thats still learning . From the office facility, what code would you use and would you use modifier on date read ? We also try not to have this happen, but sometimes time management is an issue.