Wiki Echo

abellew

Best answers
I was wondering if anyone has heard of something called an Aortic Measure. The cardiologist I work for states that it is done with an Echo and can be billed with a separate code. If so could you let me know the code or tell me where I might find it?

Thank You
AB

Aortic Measure

I am not sure but the code that I think it would be is the 36200, check with your doc to make sure this is what he was referring to. The description is

The physician punctures a distal artery (typically femoral, brachial, radial, or axillary) with a large needle and passes a guidewire via the needle into the punctured artery. The physician removes the needle while leaving the guidewire in place, and enlarges the skin opening slightly with a blade. The physician slides an introducer sheath over the guidewire into the arterial lumen. The physician inserts a catheter into the artery through an O-ring in the introducer sheath (this prevents blood from leaking around the catheter) and advances the catheter into the aorta. The physician may use the catheter to inject contrast material to perform aortography, measure aortic pressures, or to administer medication.

I did not run a check to see if it was inclusive of the cath or not. :

The code 36200 is for the cath placement into the aorta . This would be incorrect to use .
I think you need to ask your Dr. for more specifics. An echocardiogram looks at all the hearts valves and chambers it also measures the bloods velocity threw the valves and chambers.
I have never heard of a code for an aortic measure during an echo. 93306 is the code for a full echocardiogram.

Laura